The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    david A
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 29 2004,01:13)
    The Spirit is a portion of the Spirit of God poured out among christians to help them. As man is helped by woman-dunno?

Nick: I would suggest that she is more than a portion of it; that she is the feminine remanant that the patriarchal Roman Church failed to eradicate completely.

The Greek philosophers saw Sophia as the goddess of Wisdom.

Biblical tradition (in the Old Testament and the Apocrypha) saw Wisdom as Sophia, And Sophia as Yahweh’s companion in creation.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David A,
    We do not follow Greek philosophy.
    We do not worship other gods or goddesses.
    The Roman Church ,or any other, cannot frustrate God's plans or eradicate God's Spirit.
    Wisdom is God's first creation and was imbued in all God's work.
    Wisdom is a gift of the Spirit of God.

Where is the apocrypha is Sophia?.

david A
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 29 2004,10:00)
    Hi David A,
    We do not follow Greek philosophy.
    We do not worship other gods or goddesses.
    The Roman Church ,or any other, cannot frustrate God's plans or eradicate God's Spirit.
    Wisdom is God's first creation and was imbued in all God's work.
    Wisdom is a gift of the Spirit of God.

Where is the apocrypha is Sophia?.

Nick:

In the year 325 AD Emperor Constantine offered to take a little known Christian sect and make it the official state religion, if (and only if) the people who belonged to it would settle their differences. He didn't much care about what they believed, as long as they agreed (on a single belief) By compiling a book of sacred writings, Constantine thought that this book would give authority to his new Church.

It was approx two hundred and fifty years before that Christ was crucified!

The Gnostic texts mixed many facets of Christian belief with the philosophical beliefs of the Greeks. Gnostics rejected the God of the Israelites. True Christianity developed out of this conflict. True Christianity is neither Judaic (nor Hellenic) Neither is it Roman. It is a new covenant between God and his people — through His Son Jesus Christ.

The Greek texts, the Roman texts, the Apocrypha, the Dead Sea Scrolls and Yes “the philosophy” of the Greeks and Romans are all part of early Christianity. Many documents were written before the council of Nicea (not afterwards)

IMO: We need to read and discuss everything and anything that may pertain to early Christianity.

Wisdom (Sophia) permeates many of the early writings, but was eradicated from what we now refer to as “The New Testament”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DA,
    The church formed by Constantine is not the church I have faith in. It is of the world and has cut itself off from the head of the Body of Christ.
    The fact that others have added to the teachings of the bible should not be our primary focus. The word of God is truth.The rest may contain some dim reflections of truth so should not be ignored but checked out according to the revealed truth in the Old and New Testaments.
    All roads lead to salvation for any individual and that cannot be found in any denomination. The rest is vanity till one is established on the rock of salvation surely?

david A
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 29 2004,13:00)
    Hi DA,
    The church formed by Constantine is not the church I have faith in. It is of the world and has cut itself off from the head of the Body of Christ.
    The fact that others have added to the teachings of the bible should not be our primary focus. The word of God is truth.The rest may contain some dim reflections of truth so should not be ignored but checked out according to the revealed truth in the Old and New Testaments.
    All roads lead to salvation for any individual and that cannot be found in any denomination. The rerst is vanity till one is established on the rock of salvation surely?

Nick: There is much wisdom in that which ye speak.

In Matthew 16:18, Jesus said to Simon Peter:

“And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

I will reconsider the extent of the path.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DA,
    Does anyone truly believe that the glorious empire that is filled with art and wealth and luxury is the fruit of Peter's decision to state that Jesus was the messiah and the Son of God?
    Would Peter claim any part of that monstrosity should he walk again on earth? Peter himself had to be corrected by Paul, was only a part of the body that made decisions for the church and died for his faith in a cruel way.
    That was faith.. the rest is vanity.

david A
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 29 2004,15:05)
    Hi DA,
    Does anyone truly believe that the glorious empire that is filled with art and wealth and luxury is the fruit of Peter's decision to state that Jesus was the messiah and the Son of God?
    Would Peter claim any part of that monstrosity should he walk again on earth? Peter himself had to be corrected by Paul, was only a part of the body that made decisions for the church and died for his faith in a cruel way.
    That was faith.. the rest is vanity.

Paul reproved Peter and challenged him to believe the gospel of grace (the gospel of one body)

Both Apostles were well aware of the fact that the “Law of Moses” no longer had authority over their behaviour.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quite so DA,
    But old habits are hard to break.

david A
    Participant

Nick: Are we not all (who read and study the Bible) guilty of vainglory?

NickHassan
    Participant

No, we are wise men seeking to grasp all that God has given us knowing that our lives are short and He is eternal.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    When Yeshua walked on the water the disciples thought they were seeing a ghost.
    Again after the resurrection
    Luke 24.36
    ” While they were telling these things he[JESUS] himself stood in their midst and sid to them
    'Peace be to you.'
    But they were startled and frightened and thought they were seeing a spirit. And he said to them
    'Why are you troubled and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See my hands and my feet. It is I myself;touch me and see., for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have '
    And when he had said this he showed them his hands and his feet. While they still could not believe it beacuse of their joy and amazement. He said to them
    'Have you something to eat?'
    They gave him a piece of broiled fish and he took it and ate it before them”

There is no doubt to me that this was Yeshua back in his original tent or body and he proved that it was mortal by the flesh and bones comment and the eating of food.
    My question is this.
    Did the use of 'ghost' or 'spirit' in these verses reflect reality of their nature of were they just a common popular use of the words”? If that could be the case then could the use of 'spirit' rather than 'soul' also be mal-used elsewhere in the Word causing a little confusion?[eg 1Cor 7.34]

thehappyman
    Participant

Hi:
      I have read this scripture and looked for an answer for us all. Soul is the inner man; Spirit is an immaterial being. Like the Holy Spirit, Gen 1:2 , angels Heb 1:7, evil beings 1Sam. 16:14-23.
    Characteristics, seat of consciousness, Judge 15 :19, center of emotions 1Kings 21:5, leaves body,Ecc.12:7 + Jas. 2:26, ect.
    Soul, unsaved Jas.5:20, man's life 1Sam.24:11, disembodied state, Rev6:9 +20:4, characteristics, most vital asset Matt.16:26, possesses immortaliy Matt.10:28. Both created by God and inspiredly written for eternal life. …….:)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi HM,
    Thanks for the input. Some good insights there. Especially the preciousness of the soul. Those who translate 'soul' as 'life' only would struggle with the verses in Revelation.

Looking at those verses how did John know what he was seeing were souls? He would never have sen one before I would have thought and they were not wearing labels. My thought is that souls resemble bodies of people but are different. As you say 'the inner man'

Those who think that life ends for sinners after judgement should check 2 Thess 1.6f
    “For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you and to give relief to you who are afflicted, and to us as well, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and the glory of his Power..”

Godlessness is punished and all who do not obey the Son…eternally.

thehappyman
    Participant

Hi Nick:
    Beloved , could you mean that “Godleness is rewarded instead of punished ? If not , please explain this veiw , that this man may learn.
    i've always believed that God rewarded good works and stored them in heavenly places. ( my mansion ). Isn't Godleness a way of life ? To be (Christ -like).? i'm very interested in your veiw. My prayer is that i may decrease that God give the increase that i may recieve wisdom and understanding. …….God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Happyman,
    To be 'godless' is to have no God. To be 'Godly' is to be like God. Yes we are to be godly and increase in godliness.
    1Tim is full of such references and also 2Peter 1

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (david A @ Dec. 30 2004,20:16)
    Nick: Are we not all (who read and study the Bible) guilty of vainglory?

Vain glory is all that which is not of the glory of God.
    It is OK and good to seek the true glory.

thehappyman
    Participant

Hi T8 and Nick :
    My spelling Godleness , to mean 'with God' I see my reading must be increased too …………:D …………all smiles……..Grace to all

thehappyman
    Participant

Hi All:
    Yes it is good to seek the true glory. As we all should study the scriptures. Col. 3:1-4 speaks of the spiritual man and our future as well as 1 John 3: 23-24 Please read and praise God for His gift of The Holy Spirit. ……………grace to all

bic
    Participant

Nick Hassan said:

Godlessness is punished and all who do not obey the Son…eternally.

Surely this doesn't mean that you believe in the eternal torment of sinners? This doctrine is ever bit as heinous and equally pernicious as the Trinity doctrine. We have Dante Alighieri to thank for such preposterous pagan beliefs as purgatory and this eternal torment doctrine. The verse you posted rejects this foolishness unequivocally: “…These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction…. Destruction has never meant eternal life in a lake of fire and never will. Is there a separate thread dealing with this horrific doctrine? If so, please lead the way…I have much to say about Hades, hell, Gehenna, and the lake of fire…and the final destination of lost sinners.

bic
    Participant

Nick Hassan wrote:

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God. In some versions of the bible the Spirit is personified as “He” or “Him” and “His” -in fact abouit 16 times in Jn 14-16. But in fact I understand that is not correct as the word used would be better as “it”
    Personifying the word gives the impression that the Spirit is a person separate from the Father and so many were lead to believe in a third person of a trinity God.

Most excellent and very true. Since the Holy Spirit is used in a possessive context so many times (His Spirit, etc.), one can only wonder how the deception of the Trinity could have lasted so long.

Concerning the Father “being” on the earth and knowing His characteristics that have been revealed, it seems only too apparent that if He did visit the earth, it would be by proxy. Nevertheless, there are some scriptures to consider:

Exodus:33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
    33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
    33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
    33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Revelation 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

If it wasn't the Father who no man could look upon and live, then who was it? It appears that Abraham saw Michael and perhaps Gabriel on their way to destroy Sodom so it could have hardly been an angel that Moses saw on the mountain.

And if God has not been to the earth yet, He is coming to dwell with mankind here in the future, if I understand Revelation correctly.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account