The gospel

This topic contains 649 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  GeneBalthrop 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     berean2005 
    • Topics started 3
    • Total replies 70

What does 'death' mean according to Scripture?

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

HiB,
    And who can understand the second death? Are they the same ? Who knows? We should not presume that it is the same as the first because the first is all we know much about.

berean2005 
    • Topics started 3
    • Total replies 70

So you think the Bible is unclear as to what 'death' means?

You think the Bible is 'unclear' as to what the punishment — the wages — the penalty — for sin is?

Has God been so unclear as to how he punishes sin and sinners?

Is the penalty a mystery?

The punishment for sin is taught from the beginning of Genesis all the way through to the end of Revelation.

Two of the most powerful and crystal clear examples of how God deals with sin and sinners is the Flood and Sodom and Gommorah.

BTW, the Rich Man and Lazarus parable has been BADLY mis-interpreted by the pagan theologians. The parable must be interpreted through Scripture, and not through the philosophy of the Greeks and Roman theologians.

When God said He was SORRY that He had created man, and then DESTROYED them off the face of the earth, the pagan teaching is that God DID NOT REALLY DESTROY THEM, He just MOVED them from ONE LOCATION to ANOTHER LOCATION.

The Flood was about the DESTRUCTION — THE END OF LIFE — because of sin.

The Flood was NOT about RELOCATION and CONTAINMENT.

Sinners are NEVER 'contained' by God's wrath.

Sinners are ALWAYS 'consumed' — 'devoured' — 'destroyed' by God's fierce wrath.

Moses knows what the punishment for sin is. Just look to his writings and not to the Roman Cathecism.

Human Tradition has BADLY perverted the pure teachings of Scripture.

In Jesus,

Berean2005

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Yes
    Tradition fought against and killed the Son of God and continues to raise itself above the gospel of Jesus Christ. Many are drawn after such folly, blinded and entrapped they confidently march deeper into the swamps of confusion comfortable in the knowledge that they are not alone and follow leaders they can see.
    “Come out of her my people”

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Hi
    Lk 13.1f
    “Now on the same occasion there were some present who reported to him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. And Jesus said to them
    'Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate? I tell you no, but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.Or do you suppose that those 18 on whom the tower fell and killed them in Siloam were worse culprits than all who live in Jerusalem? I tell you no, but unless you repent you will all likewise perish'”

In the prevuious chapter Jesus had said to the listeners
    “You hypocrites…Why do you not analyse this present time?”
    Luke recalled it was at this same time that Jesus said these words. I am sure the story told to Jesus was to show the shock/horror of the event-Pilate dishonoring the sacrifice and the Jewish priests and God himself by his actions.

But Jesus turned it around to show them the importance of today in our relationship with God. If we have not yet been put right with God by repentance and baptism tomorrow may be too late. God is in charge of how long we live and when our opportunity runs out and death closes the gate of that chance for salvation. To die is also to either live or die eternally. God is able to bless us now and forever if we will only come to Him through Jesus but that door will close.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Hi,
    “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.”

We have not seen but have been given the Word of God as testimony to the truth. Previous generations have not had the easy access to this as we have.

God is faithful and waits anxiously for any to see the light and turn back to Him. He comes running down the road to meet his sons who were lost but have been found.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Hi david,
    How should we effectively reach men? Do we really want to bring them to salvation? If aso what should we say and when? Does the JW approach fit with scriptural teaching? Does it make sense? Who benefits with your approach?

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Hi,
    If you stand, thanks to the grace of God, in a higher place or a place of safety on the mountain and you see others wanting to join you how should you help them? Surely you warn them. Do you preach at them or exult in your superiority, and judge them, and throw stones at them? Do we not dress as they do and reach down, or go down to show them the way?
    That is what the Son of God did and we who are in him should do the same. He has given us the power of the gospel and of the Spirit so it is not of ourselves. Striving in our own strength in the vain hope that we will save ourselves by so doing does not help them and neither is it useful for us.

” Not by might nor by power but by Thy Spirit”

david 
    Participant
    • Topics started 68
    • Total replies 11,300

Nick, this is the problem with your posts. You often say things very obvious. But since you direct them at a person (me in this case), I feel the need to defend myself. Yet what am I supposed to defend myself against, since I agree with everything you said?

Do you think the work we do could be done without the holy spirit?
    Could you go from door to door Nick and talk about the good news of the Kingdom?
    Others have tried. About 7 years ago, I was talking to someone who was very very very zealous. I met Norman in the ministry. We sat down in his basement and discussed the trinity (and a couple other things) for a couple hours. In his basement, he had basically one chair and a stool for me and a Bible. He knew the Scriptures well, in fact, better than anyone I've ever met in the ministry. It seemed that was the only book he owned. One of the only “things” he owned. At first when visiting this site, you reminded me of him. He told me that he tried to go from door to door. It lasted a few days. He couldn't do it. He told me that he witnesses to people over the internet. I guess he was talking about forums like this. When I left, he handed me a leaflet that said among other things that you should tithe, despite the fact that he emphatically was against tithing.

Long before the Christian era Nick, Jehovah told faithful Abraham about a provision for “all nations of the earth” to bless themselves. (Gen 22:18) He also inspired Solomon to write regarding a fundamental requirement that rests on all humans: “Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.” (Eccl. 12:13) But how would the people living in all nations learn about these things? Good question Nick.
    Although there have always been some people who believed God’s word, the Bible indicates that the intensive global witness that would actually reach all nations with the good news was reserved for “the Lord’s day.” As you know Nick, Jehovah’s Witnesses believe this began in 1914. (Rev. 1:10) Concerning this time, Revelation 14:6,7 foretold that a vital proclamation under angelic direction would be made “to every nation and tribe and tongue and people.” They would be urged: “FEAR God and give him glory, because the hour of the judgment by him has arrived, and so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and sea and fountains of waters.” It is God’s will that this message be delivered. We have the privilege of sharing in that work.
    When Jehovah declared, “You are my witnesses,” it was in a setting where the issue of Godship was being debated. (Is 43:10) The message that must be delivered is not merely that people should believe in a god. Rather, they need to be given the opportunity to learn that the Creator of heaven and earth is the only true God. (Is 45:5,18,21,22; John 17:3) Only the true God can reliably foretell the future. It is our privilege to point out that the fulfillment of Jehovah’s word in the past gives sound basis for confidence that everything he has promised for the future will come true.–Josh 23:14; Is 55:10,11.

david 
    Participant
    • Topics started 68
    • Total replies 11,300

AT A meeting of the World Council of Churches some 40 years ago, members were urged to “break out in a spirit of evangelism” and to teach their flocks to “go about evangelizing.” Five years later John A. O’Brien, a Catholic clergyman, wrote about the need to bring in new disciples “by going to them” and not simply “by sitting in our homes.” And in January 1994, Pope John Paul II said that it is “not the time to be ashamed of the Gospel, it’s time to preach it from the rooftops.”

Apparently these intermittent calls for evangelizers have fallen on deaf ears. An article in the Australian newspaper Illawarra Mercury stated: “Prominent South Coast Catholics are not keen to adopt the Jehovah’s Witness-type approach to their faith.” One man said that evangelism is simply “not part of the Catholic psyche.” Another reasoned: “It’s good for the Church to promote itself, but not through doorknocking. Perhaps through schools or letterbox drops would be better.” Even the dean of a local cathedral was not quite sure how to interpret the pope’s remarks. “We would encourage people to live out the Gospel they know through their own lives,” he said. “Whether that means doorknocking is another thing.” The headline of the news article sums it up well: “Catholics won’t heed Pope’s call to preach.”

Despite Christendom’s failure to evangelize, more than 6 million of Jehovah’s Witnesses are following Jesus’ command to “go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20; compare Acts 5:42.) Their door-to-door preaching is now carried out in more than 230 lands. The message they bring is a positive one, highlighting the Bible’s wonderful promises for the future. The Watchtower, publsihed in more languages than any other periodical, is devoted to “Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom,” as stated on the front cover.

david

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Hi david,
    Yes your work could be being done without the Holy Spirit.

If all we teach is to believe in God we have made them as the demons as James tells us. Belief saves no one but obedience to the commands of Jesus.

david 
    Participant
    • Topics started 68
    • Total replies 11,300

Could you do it Nick?

That's what I've been saying Nick. We have to Obey the commands of Jesus.
    Heb 5:9, salvation to those 'obeying' Jesus. Faith without works is dead Nick. So why is it every time I mention us doing something, you reply by saying, Yes, but:
    we must be born of holy spirit.

It's as if you're disagreeing with me. But I know you aren't.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Quote (david @ Sep. 28 2005,06:39)
    AT A meeting of the World Council of Churches some 40 years ago, members were urged to “break out in a spirit of evangelism” and to teach their flocks to “go about evangelizing.” Five years later John A. O’Brien, a Catholic clergyman, wrote about the need to bring in new disciples “by going to them” and not simply “by sitting in our homes.” And in January 1994, Pope John Paul II said that it is “not the time to be ashamed of the Gospel, it’s time to preach it from the rooftops.”

Apparently these intermittent calls for evangelizers have fallen on deaf ears. An article in the Australian newspaper Illawarra Mercury stated: “Prominent South Coast Catholics are not keen to adopt the Jehovah’s Witness-type approach to their faith.” One man said that evangelism is simply “not part of the Catholic psyche.” Another reasoned: “It’s good for the Church to promote itself, but not through doorknocking. Perhaps through schools or letterbox drops would be better.” Even the dean of a local cathedral was not quite sure how to interpret the pope’s remarks. “We would encourage people to live out the Gospel they know through their own lives,” he said. “Whether that means doorknocking is another thing.” The headline of the news article sums it up well: “Catholics won’t heed Pope’s call to preach.”

Despite Christendom’s failure to evangelize, more than 6 million of Jehovah’s Witnesses are following Jesus’ command to “go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20; compare Acts 5:42.) Their door-to-door preaching is now carried out in more than 230 lands. The message they bring is a positive one, highlighting the Bible’s wonderful promises for the future.  The Watchtower, publsihed in more languages than any other periodical, is devoted to “Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom,” as stated on the front cover.

david

Hi david,
    If the whore and her daughters own the land of USA or anywhere then the land and it's people are worse rather than better off. If she does or does not promote her false gospel so what? Jesus never sent his disciples to cast pearls before swine when we make disciples of all nations.

david 
    Participant
    • Topics started 68
    • Total replies 11,300

Right.

Nick,
    How should we effectively reach men? Do we really want to bring them to salvation? If so what should we say and when? Does your approach fit with scriptural teaching? Does it make sense? Who benefits with your approach?

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 70,325

Hi david,
    The work and the burden is of the Lord. Some are called and equipped as evangelists but not all. Some are prophets and some apostles. Some teach. Some heal according to the specific gifting of the Spirit.
    No one has all the gifts or there would not need to be a body. No one either can come unless he is called. Should all be spoken to? I do not think so but only those spoken to whom God puts on our hearts. To take pearls to those who hate God and expose them to contempt is to cause offense to them and the Spirit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 650 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2018 Heaven Net

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account