Jesus merely a man, God, a god, an Angel, Son of God, what does the bible teach?

This topic contains 320 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  t8 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
     Ed J 
    Participant
    • Topics started 155
    • Total replies 27,537

What does the bible teach? Was Jesus
    (1)God, (2)a god, (3)an Angel, (4)merely a man, or (5)the Son of God?

Hi Everyone,

1) God
    2) a god
    3) an Angel
    4) merely a man
    5) the Son of God

On the seven lessons thread (it seems) that attempting to claim #2 is really claiming #3 ‘an Angel’
    And I don’t see how one can claim more than one of these at the same time.
    I believe the bible teaches #5 and #5 alone.

UMB5 
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Total replies 38

Great topic!

I believe you are referring to the thread that @tigger2 started. I believe that one can claim more than one of those titles above. But not based on my own opinions or reasoning…based on scripture alone we know that one can claim more than one of those above titles.  For example at 2nd Cor 4:4 Satan is called  “the god of this world”..yet we all know that he is an angel. A fallen angel, yet still an angel.  1st Cor 8:5 talks about angels being called gods…So if we turn to scriptures and not on our own understanding we find that one can claim more than one of these titles at the same time.  Gen 6:2 “the sons of God”.. those are actually angels, right?  so here they are claiming the title of angel, and sons of God”..  When you refer to these scriptures, can you not see how one can claim more than one of the listed titles at the same time?

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi UMB5,

Where is Satan said to be an angel or a fallen angel?

Are you speaking of the one time a being called lucifer is spoken of?Any witnesses?

1 cor 8.5 does not mention angels as being gods.

YET WE ALL KNOW does not wash. Myths and legends lead men rapidly off the path of truth

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi ed,

You mean Jesus of Nazareth?

A mere man. A chosen vessel. A man purified by obedience to the Law

Of course God was his Father .

You mean Jesus Christ?

An anointed man filled by the Spirit without measure whom God used in power to reconcile mankind to Himself. Son of God by his anointing.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi ,

Scripture does not teach he is our God.

It certainly never teaches that he is any form of angel.

Folks get confused because God was in him reconciling the world to Himself.

Folks also attribute falsely the works he did to the man himself and not to God in him.[acts 2.22]

kerwin 
    Participant
    • Topics started 144
    • Total replies 17,364

I know that Jesus is the human being that mediates between God and humanity and I will not say or imply he is not human. He is also the Son of God.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

HI,

And the foolish answer from the WATCHTOWER.

Our Readers Ask . . 
    Is Jesus the Archangel Michael?
    ▪ Put simply, the answer is yes.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi,

So the Watchtower ignores the way Hebrews 1-3 contrasts Jesus Christ with the angels.

It cobbles single verses about the return of Jesus and the voice of the archangel together using logic and inference to teach falsely that Jesus is an archangel.

Come out of her

AndrewAD 
    Participant
    • Topics started 1
    • Total replies 746

Dear friends of Christ,

The great mystery of Christ revealeth that he is all of the above.He is all these things that Ed listeth.He came to show us God is the all in all and he too is that all in all.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

hi Andrew,

Yes God has visited His people.

But was Jesus that God, or was God in him reconciling the world to Himself?

kerwin 
    Participant
    • Topics started 144
    • Total replies 17,364

Nick,

I agree as they have to misinterpret a number of passages and make connection where no connections are in order to get that nineteenth century idea. I can name at least three religions that came about in the 19th Century or the beginning of the 20th that have some variation of the teaching that the Archangel Michael is Jesus Christ. They are the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and Seventh Day Adventist. It may have arose from a sixth century tradition.

Michael does hold similar positions to Jesus but that does not make them the same. He is never refereed to as lord of all things in heaven and on earth but he does seem to intercede for the Hebrew People and lead the armies of heaven against Satan (Samael translated to venom of God). In all his position is lower than Jesus’ despite some similarities in duties.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi,

It is amazing to me that good JW bible students would accept having beliefs imposed on them from such shonky scripture analysis.

You cannot blame just the leadership if folk allow such folly to happen.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi,

It was necessary to God that a mere Son of Adam would be used to conquer the mighty angelic beings that opposed God.

It was their final humiliation and we are allowed to share in that glorious victory.

NickHassan 
    Participant
    • Topics started 284
    • Total replies 67,431

Hi,

The JWs teach that Jesus is an archangel.

yet men follow them.

kerwin 
    Participant
    • Topics started 144
    • Total replies 17,364

Nick,

People make subconscious decisions that they are not aware of. It cushions them from things they find hard to deal with so they can consciously function while subconscious trying to resolve the issue. Some will be unable to resolve it. In other cases just is not important to them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 321 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2017 Heaven Net

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account