Is Hell eternal?

This topic contains 416 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  t8 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     John3:3 
    Participant
    • Topics started 1
    • Total replies 13

Enoch chapter 18 vs. 15 & 16 seems to indicate that some of the rebellious angels will be punished for a set period of time (10,000 years)

Humans that go to hell perhaps have a similar set period of time. It must be at least 1000 years since death and hell are cast into lake of fire after millenium.

There is no time there in hades (or in paradise for that matter). Time is an earthly construct only. I know this for a fact, so even if it’s only 1000 years, you don’t want to be there even 1 second. It will seem like an eternity.

Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 7,570

Those who are not saved will be judged according to their works, and their death or separation from God will be eternal, but no, they will not be continually punished for an eternity.

Jude 1 in describing the punishment of Sodom and Gomorrah stated the following:

[Quote]Jde 1:7
    Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.[/Quote]

If they were the example of the “suffering of the vengeance of eternal fire then this scripture shows clearly that anyone suffering the eternal vengeance will not burn forever and ever, but they will be completely consumed by this punishment.

Sodom and Gomorrah is not still burning, is it?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

t8 
    Participant
    • Topics started 863
    • Total replies 17,410

@942767, you said:

Those who are not saved will be judged according to their works, and their death or separation from God will be eternal, but no, they will not be continually punished for an eternity.

Agreed. You have to have eternal life in order to have eternal suffering. Also, your last point about Sodom is a good one.

Mary Boone 
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Total replies 1

Wow, best article ever. I completely understand now. I will share this with so many. I have had a hard time defending my belief that hell is not eternal, but eternal death.

t8 
    Participant
    • Topics started 863
    • Total replies 17,410

Thanks Mary for the positive feedback. 🙂

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

miia 
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Total replies 1,288

The god which people worship who punishes people in eternal conscious torment is not the God I know.

A lady told me, “It’s not God who does that, it’s Satan…. and people choose to go there them-self”.  I said “Why would anyone Choose to go there if it was true?”   She didn’t answer. ..  I asked her is Satan is stronger than God?  She said “no”.  She said she just believes what is written in the bible… I said “God gave us a mind and a heart to think and question these things.  Those who choose to believe in eternal conscious torment do not love their “neighbor” as they should, they are merely trying to save their own life.”   I asked her if she would follow God if there was no afterlife.   She said “yes”.  That’s good.  Me too.  I would have a curiosity to the creator of the world, and an adoration of him and all that he is even if this was all there was.

A belief that a loving God who is love, punishes those who do not choose to follow him in punishment forever and ever with out end are not perfected in Love, imo.

t8 
    Participant
    • Topics started 863
    • Total replies 17,410

John clearly saw in his vision that Hell is thrown into the Lake of Fire which is the second death. Anyone who tries to change these words will be cursed.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book

So clearly, if we do not wish to be reckless regarding the truth, we need to believe this truth:

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

So there you have it. Hell is clearly not eternal. It is thrown into the Second Death.

What you are advocating @davidl is essentially that the wicked will also inherit eternal life, albeit in a different place. But the wicked shall perish instead of living eternally David,  even the most quoted scripture in all the Bible teaches this:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life

Its destruction/perish or eternal life.

The crazy part about most people that teach an eternal Hell including yourself as well as the guy in the video is that they often say that they wish there was no such thing as an eternal hell. But then they ignore the scriptures that clearly teach their conviction.

He is a double-minded man, unstable in all he undertakes.

Surely you need to make the effort to be single-minded here. If your heart tells you that you wish there was no eternal hell, and if scripture also bears witness of this, then surely there is only one thing to do, believe the scriptures.

This false teaching has led many to reject God and it is totally unnecessary and shameful to block the way of salvation. Many see such a God as being no different than Adolph Hitler with the exception that Hitler did not subject people to suffering for eternity. How dare we tell God that he is like that when scripture clearly reveals the true nature of God. We should be teaching people that through God’s only son, we can have eternal life. If we reject the one whom God sent, then we will not have eternal life and will instead perish as it is written.

While I am not advocating that we ignore Hell because there is certainly a Hell before the Great Judgement, (I was even shown it in a vision), instead I am saying that we should not teach that it is eternal, when clearly it is thrown into a Lake that causes the second death. It is this fire that will also burn up the old heavens and earth too. Scripture bears witness to this event.

By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

You have two choices: believe these scriptures and the conviction in your heart, or ignore the conviction and these scriptures.

AndrewAD 
    Participant
    • Topics started 1
    • Total replies 746

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread,so I don’t know every ones opinions here.I’m not even certain what the ts opinion is  but I do know that I once believed in eternal torments which I no longer do.How could a”loving God” condemn people/souls/spirits that he supposedly made damn them in any case to eternal torment? Why would a just and loving God do such a thing? Would a real God “of love” do this?-eternally torment souls he made and predestined to live on this world/earth do this? That is make men for eternal torment for temporal sins? Many claim God is just,yet the so called grace is unjust,that it is not fair but according to whatever God wants in his unjust plan of so called grace.Grace being the unmerited favor which God bestows on whomever he wills.And how does one dare to claim they have this unmerited favor?On what grounds?Because they claim to believe in Jesus?,:when even Jesus said many who call me Lord and do good works will be rejected.Even Paul the preacher of “grace” says men will be judged according to their works,yet at the same time declares over and over that we are not saved by works but by Faith-he even goes so far as to call it the”law of faith”. So “faith” in itself is now a law according to St.Paul.

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

It seems these days we have a one-eyed view of God as some sort of benevolent old sugar-daddy who exists just to dote upon our every idealistic whim and self-centered fantasy..

Yes, God IS Love (that is, the very essence of selflessness), but He is also GOD – THE SOURCE OF ALL POWER, MAJESTY, GLORY AND AUTHORITY…!!!

Romans says, “Behold therefore the goodness AND SEVERITY of God…

God’s nature is both perfect Justice, AND perfect Love – both of these are equally powerful, and neither cannot be compromised… God’s great Love is made manifest to us through the great sacrifice of Jesus who alone satisfied the just requirements of God’s holy Law through His own life, and death on the cross… either we accept God’s plan of salvation, or we bare the consequences of our sin alone, forever (because we can never pay the price required)…”He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” – John 3:36

Death by very definition in not annihilation, or how could there be a second one..!?!?

God does not torture anyone…He just hands you over to the things that you really wanted – things you put in place of His love..

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

Why is Hell eternal…? – because we have sinned against an eternal God.

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

Hell is eternal – Heaven is eternal…without end.

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

Really, what you are teaching on this site is more cult doctrine…(like what you teach about the trinity) – these are pretty much in line with what most Christian cults teach (including JW’s, Mormons etc)..

dL 
    Participant
    • Topics started 13
    • Total replies 999

Does the Greek word ‘aion’ simply mean an age or limited amount of time..?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 417 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2017 Heaven Net

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account