Hebrews 1:6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

In Hebrews 1:6 it states that Jesus is to be worshipped by angels therefore he must be God right?

1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,
    2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.
    3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
    4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
    5 For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son; today I have become your Father? Or again, “I will be his Father, and he will be my Son”.
    6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.”

Trinitarians hard at work use verse 6 to demonstrate that Jesus is God because God says that the Angels should worship him and other scriptures say that only God should be worshipped. Sort of make sense on the outset, but let’s dig deeper to reveal the truth here.

First of all verses 1-5 the preceding verses demonstrate clearly that Jesus is the Son of God.

If we read the verse as seen through the eyes of the writer of Hebrews we see that the writer says “Let all God’s angels worship him”. In this view the word HIM can just as easily mean God if the writer is quoting what God has said, but seen through the eyes of the writer. So we should worship God himself when God brings his firstborn into the world, for doing such a great deed. On the other hand if we render the “Let all God’s angels worship him” as being a direct quote from God and not spoken by the writer and hence the word HIM means CHRIST, then we read it as follows: “When God brings Jesus into the world, all His Angels should worship His Firstborn.

Now neither option supports a Trinity. The first option says that we should worship God and the second option says that we should worship Jesus. But nowhere are we told in the scriptures that we are to worship Jesus as God. If he is worshipped at all, it is as the Son of God and the Lamb of God. Only the Father is to be worshipped as God. The answer is really is simple as that. But we will look further.

In support of the first option, verse 6 is supposedly a quote of Psalm 97:7 which actually reads, ” Worship Him, all gods (elohim)” and is rendered in the Greek as ‘Let all God’s angels worship him’. In this Psalm, God is not the speaker, the writer is. The context of that Psalm doesn’t make any sense for God to be saying to Himself, “Worship Him, all gods,”. However, it would make perfect sense if the composer was commending his audience to “Worship Him, all gods/angels.” So if this the case, then The HIM is referring to God and not Jesus.

In support of the second option there are other verses that talk about worship toward Jesus, however it is never as God, but the Son of God or the Lamb.

Matthew 14:33
    Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

The next verse shows that Jesus is worshipped as the Lamb of God and God is also worshipped, but God is definitely someone else and not Jesus.

Revelation 5: 12-14
    12 In a loud voice they sang: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”
    13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!”
    14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

Further, we know that the Father and the Son sit on the throne.

Revelation 3:21
    To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

So as you can see neither view doesn’t support a Trinity, rather it supports the truth that God has a Son and his son is worthy of praise and honour.

So where is it recorded that Jesus was worshipped as the Almighty God? Shachah is the word used for “worship” in the OT. It means:

• worship
    • bow
    • bow down
    • obeisance
    • reverence
    • fall down
    • stoop
    • crouch

“Shachah” is also translated as worshiped in the following verse:

Genesis 24:26
    Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD,

It is also used in 1 Kings 1:23 and translated as “bowed”.
    And they told the king, saying, Behold Nathan the prophet. And when he was come in before the king, he bowed himself before the king with his face to the ground.

So most verses that talk about worship are exclusively talking about worship of God. Other verses talk about (but do not encourage) worship toward idols or other gods. But there is also a legitimate use for worshipping Jesus as the son of God, or worshipping David as the King of Israel, or worship toward others for noble reasons.

Revelation 3:9
    Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

So when you see the word worship with regards to God, Jesus, King David, overcomers etc, think of the word honour and praise. Jesus, King David, and those who are overcomers can be honoured and praised for what and who they are. But we do not honour/praise/worship any of them as God. Only God is worshipped as God and if we honour God then it should be the highest honour we can give to anyone, hence worship/honour of God is only different in that he should be honoured more than all others and this would usually involve being prostrate or bowing down before him in absolute praise and regard.

The worship of Jesus as the son of God doesn’t and never has supported the view that Jesus is God. The “Jesus is God because he is worhipped” argument falls over when it is tested.

As believers, we should honour Jesus as the son of God. We should not honour him as the Almighty God because there is only one who is the Almighty God, and that is the Father. We do not honour two Gods, but one who is God, the Father who is the only true God.

1 Corinthians 8:6
    yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

1 Timothy 1:17
    Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.

John 17:3
    Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

← Go back to ‘Supporting the Trinity Doctrine‘.

hoghead1
    Participant

Sorry.  I didn’t find t any of this to be well thought out or very helpful for me.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi hoghead,

So you are the arbiter of sound spiritual teaching?

But you do not even know the God of Israel.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

T8…..Well written brother. IT is a sound teaching, we are to bow to JESUS, “TO THE GLORY OF GOD”, not as a GOD though as the false teaching of the trinity does. Good post brother.

peace and love to you and yours. ……..gene

Proclaimer
    Participant

Sorry.  I didn’t find t any of this to be well thought out or very helpful for me.

Because it didn’t agree with your opinion. So you wrote if off.

But Jesus is the truth and his sheep seek the truth. They hear his voice and do not hear the voice of another.

Jesus is the son of God. The Antichrist spirit will deny this. That spirit has men saying Jesus is God or Jesus is only a man. Anything but Jesus being the true son of God.

hoghead1
    Participant

Hello, t8,

Your post here is exactly what I have been complaining about.  No, those holding with the Trinity are not possessed by the Anti-Christ.  Attacking the character of others has no place in a theological discussion.  You should focus on your opponents arguments and offer solid, rational rebuttals.  When people result to flaming an name-calling denouncing their opponents as all lost souls, tools of the Devil, etc., that’s because one recognizes one has a weak argument and therefore tries to win by cheating and attacking their opponents’ character in order to save faith.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi hoghead,

The word of God has suffered violent attacks ever since God gave it to men.

It is our happy duty to defend it.

Please do not take it personally.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

hoghead1… JESSUS said , you serpents, you generation of vipers, how can you escape the damnation of hell, read Mat 23:27- 33, was that not “inflammatory”, HE also called PETER Satan, , ALSO, called said untto the pharisees theywere blind guides and fools, and said they strain out a gnat andswallow a camel, think that was inflaminatory ?

We are called to defend the truth of GOD and the trinity and those who push it are commiting IDOLATRY, rather they realize it or not, and also are blind guides. But those of the truth will not follow false teachers no matter how much they boast in their so-called scholarship accomplishments, it mean nothing if what they preach is not in line with direct and specific scriptures the written text we each have, philosphies mean nothing if it does not meet the test of what is clearly written, but only works to muddy the waters.

You position yourself as a teacher of truth, who holds the understanding of the trinity, but give us vain teachings of men and their Greek dominated philosphies. You yourself hoghead1 have need to be taught not to rely on vain teachings of men and return back to the actual scriptures we all have right in front of us all.

Don’t expect those of GOD to embrace a false teacher who teaches the Trinity as the truth.

peace and love to you and yours. ………gene

Proclaimer
    Participant

Your post here is exactly what I have been complaining about. No, those holding with the Trinity are not possessed by the Anti-Christ. Attacking the character of others has no place in a theological discussion

Attacking the character of others? No, we should attack/expose teachings and doctrines that depart from the faith that was handed down.

He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

It is scripture that says that the Antichrist spirit denies Jesus as the son of God and there is no problem repeating that. If you do not deny it, then you have nothing to worry about. If you do by saying in reality he is really the God that he is the son of, then yes it will apply obviously.

If I base my answers on my own wisdom, then I am misguided. Let scripture have its say HogHead.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

If we are not allowed to do that, then what is the point of having scritpure and the faith that was handed down. We could just rely on our own spirit, understanding, and wisdom.

hoghead1
    Participant

Hi, t8,

True, we should work so as to correct our misconceptions. However, what has been happening in this forum is inappropriate flaming, along with alack of education about the history of teh Trinity. Whenever I try and correct some of these misconceptions, I get rudely dumped on.

Proclaimer
    Participant

By who?

hoghead1
    Participant

By who?  By you, among others.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi hoghead,

You seem to read personal attacks in every post.

I think you are just diverting having been shown to have a foundation of sand.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…..EXACTLY, that is what he is doing, deverting, and skiriting, the issues, disguising it as a our “inferior” knowledge as to what scripture “actually” do say. As if we don’t have the “spirit of truth” abiding in us, so we need to listen to his “greater” influenced interputations, because the SPIRIT OF TRUTH is no enough, so GOD need him to clarify or understandings.

SCRIPTURE says “brethern you have no need of a teacher, because the spirit “itself” will teach us “all” things”. He is not here to learn anything, but to try to teach others what he thinks he knowns, and if anyone follows the driver of that train, he surely will derail. IMO

peace and love to you and yours. …….gene

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account