Mikeboll’s belief in a flat world

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 6,405 total)
  • Author
    mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Mike,

Welcome back.

Thanks Nick.  Good to hear from you after all this time.

It depends on definitions. Do you know of the biblical definitions of

FOUNDATIONS, PILLARS, CHANNELS, CORNERS, THE DEEP, FIRMAMENT etc?

Without forming such a foundation we are not able to build anything.

We can surely delve into that, while remembering not to strain the gnat and swallow the camel.  But does the current secular model sound anything like a firmament separating waters above from waters below, in which God has placed a bunch of LIGHTS called sun, moon, and stars – which all move in relation to the earth on circuits God appointed for them?

Belief is amazing. I realise that a zealot is unable to be unconvinced by men.

I don’t know if I should take that as an insult, but how about you let me begin to make my case first, and we’ll just go from there?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

What does a FIRMAMENT sound like to you?

Should we decide on the meaning?

Does everything in scripture have to be literally true to be truth?

Is God allowed to describe things as man would see them rather than as actual reality?

The sky scrolling upwards (Is 44) or stars being seen to be falling cannot just be just observational?

Scripture focuses on Israel.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Okay guys, let’s practice the KISS theory on this one, ie: “Keep It Simple Stupid”.  First up, have any of you ever personally witnessed any earth curvature with your own eyes whatsoever in your lifetime?

Okay, you can check any source you like to find many different earth curvature calculators on the web.  Or just Google, “What is the formula for the curvature of the earth?”  You will find that the formula is based on the Pythagorean Theorem, and amounts to 8 inches per mile squared.  You can find this info anywhere.  It is not a “flat earth” formula, since we don’t believe there’s any curvature to be measured.  Instead it is a ball earth formula based on a spherical earth 25,000 miles in circumference.  Anyway, 8 inches per mile squared means that if you and I were a mile away from each other, I would not be able to see the bottom 8 inches of your legs – due to your legs being hidden by the earth’s curvature.  But the curve increases exponentially, so if we are two miles apart (2 x 2 x 8 inches, for a total of 32 inches of drop), I cannot see the bottom 2.5 feet of you.  At 3 miles apart (3 x 3 x 8 inches, for a total of 72 inches), I cannot see you at all… unless you’re taller than 6 feet.

Now before I start showing plenty of proof by way of things we all CAN see despite them supposedly being hidden behind thousands of feet and sometimes even miles of curvature, does anyone have any problems with the ball earther’s formula?  And does anyone here think they’ve seen the curve with their own eyes?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.Jn 6.51

Taken literally this was unpalatable to most of the listeners.

It is a spiritual statement about the essential food of the living Word.

So God is allowed to teach outside of the human bounds of logic and reason.

We are not bound, out of loyalty to God, to interpret everything literally. Do you agree?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Is literalism a form of legalism?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Where is the earth flat enough for someone with perfect vision

to be able to testify about details seen a mile away?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

If the current secular model is found to be

consistent with the teaching of scripture

would it shatter your faith in God.?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

If you cannot define FIRMAMENT but ask what we think it sounds like, how can we take you seriously?

Should we put absolute faith in what our eyes see?

But we are still listening.

NickHassan
    Participant

Oops,

I said Is 44.

But it is Is 34.4

And all the hosts of heaven will wear away, and the sky will be rolled up like a scroll;

All their hosts will also wither away as a leaf withers from the vine, or as one withers from a fig tree.

Compare Is 24.19f

The earth is broken asunder, the earth is split through, the earth is shaken violently.

the earth reels to and fro like a drunkard and it totters like a shack,

for it’s transgression is heavy upon it, and it will fall, never to rise again.

So it will happen in that day, that the Lord will punish the host of heaven on high,

and the kings of earth. They will be gathered together like prisoners in the dungeon,

and will be confined in prison; and after many days they will be punished.

Then the moon will be abashed and the sun ashamed.

For the Lord of hosts will reign on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem

and His glory will be before His elders.

So how will the skies appear to those standing on earth while it is moving?

Admin
    Keymaster

I don’t know how to quote a post here,

Hi Mike. To stop quoting quotes that have been quoted by someone else’s quote that another quoted, well that was disabled.

All you need to do now is select the relevant text that which you wish to copy or Add Media if you wish to quote an image and post that. But wrap that text and/or image to be quoted in the b-quote tag (button) if in Text mode or button in Visual mode.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hi Miia.

According to the theory, the sun goes under the disk. So it orbits the Earth above and below.

While this explains day and night, it brings in a new complication. The theory rejects Sir Isaac Newton’s theory of gravity and states simply that we do not fall off the Earth because we sit on top of the disk. The seas do not flow over the edge because the circumference of the disk is surrounded by a high ice wall which is the Antarctica. All good so far, but what about the sun?

@mikeboll64
    , how does the sun orbit the Earth in this manner and not fall down once it starts to go under the disk. If the stars are hanging in the firmament in the manner imagined by Flat Eeathers, then obviously the sun and moon cannot be hanging from the firmament. What of the sun’s cord or whatever hangs the sun above us? Why doesn’t it tangle with the Earth disc? If it is a property of gravity, then that negates the view that we live on the spherical Earth and would fall off.

Admin
    Keymaster

Hmm… even my snapshot is too big to upload. I could resize it to 512kb, but it already looks crappy at 1.27mb. 🙂 I guess you’ll have to take my word for it for now. But you can look online and see all kinds of photos of the Jan 31st blood moon, and you’ll see what I mean.

t8, I’ll try to hit you up tomorrow morning.

Hi @mikeboll64,

What is the URL to the image? Or how big is it?

I haven’t ever attempted to upload an image that was too big, so I am curious as to what the limit is. And I may be able to increase that.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Heb 11.1

Now FAITH is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things NOT SEEN.

For by it the men of old gained approval.

But you ask that we deeply trust the evidence of our eyes?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Okay guys, let’s practice the KISS theory on this one, ie: “Keep It Simple Stupid”. First up, have any of you ever personally witnessed any earth curvature with your own eyes whatsoever in your lifetime?

No. Never. I have accepted the Heliocentric view based on the scientific evidence presented to me. Yes there is a certain trust given in that, but I have also not seen the Sahara Desert but trust it is there because of the testimony of others. Too many others to doubt it. Likewise the Heliocentric view has many testimonies  (obviously less than the Sahara Desert theory) which I find adequate.

Of course, as always, no matter how preposterous, I accept that the truth can be stranger than fiction and that the world is under the reign of liars and there are many misconceptions about the truth. However, the Heliocentric view was brought about by people of faith like Copernicus and Newton. The latter, was a man with one of the greatest minds in science, yet one of the greatest defenders of scripture. It is said he studies scripture under the premise that it was inspired by God and he used it greatly in his pursuit of science and truth. He is the father of the scientific method. While he solved many of the mysteries of physics, he actually spent most of his life studying scripture itself.  He also didn’t believe in the Trinity Doctrine because it was not written and not alluded to. He is one of the least likely people to be involved in a mass conspiracy to make people believe in the Heliocentric view. In fact it was despicable religious institutions and religiously bigoted men that initially rejected the idea that the Earth went around the sun. Copernicus if I remember rightly was under house arrest for this view.

That said, I am sure if I had the resources myself, I could test the Heliocentric theory out, but I have never felt the need to prove this based on the amount of evidence presented, but I am sure there would be ways to test it out even for the average man without relying on NASA. Further, I do not see how such a view affects the idea that there is a God and he made the Earth anyway. If Satan is behind the Heliocentric view, then for what purpose? The Heliocentric view is far grander than the Flat Earth view. The Flat Earth view looks very simple and finite. The Heliocentric view certainly speaks of the magnificence of God, his infinite nature, and is testimony that he is the lawgiver, so that men are without excuse to deny him based on the grandeur of the heavens above us. It also shows us the possibilities of many other worlds and ages. And I do not see the Heliocentric view as contradicting any scripture, so its reason doesn’t seem to be an attempt to dissuade men away from scripture and seeing it as irrelevant or false scientific thinking.

AndrewAD
    Participant

Yes people used to be forced to recant, tortured, or put to death for not believing such things. Thank God neither the church nor the bible are so infallible anymore.

If Satan is behind the heliocentric theory I wonder what kind of game God and Satan were playing back then? Which one said” hey I bet you I can get that fellow to recant”, or ” I bet you I can get that fellow burnt at the stake”?

Anna Runions
    Participant

No such thing as flat earth.

Miia
    Participant

My dad believes in the flat Earth, and my mum laughs at him. Mind you he used to believe people were watching us through the television, and she used to laugh at that too. Today, he would be correct.

The thought of the universe… Is amazing. I’m reading a fiction story atm, about a group of Jesuit priests who are sent to make contact with human life on another planet (Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell).

Anything is possible.

Anna Runions
    Participant

I am surprised to see flat earthers here, on this site.

Lightenup
    Participant

I agree with you Anna, it can’t be both flat and round. Welcome to HN!

Blessings, LU

Miia
    Participant

Hi t8 and Mike, the meme I posted showed up in my FB thread, which is the only reason I posted it! Thanks for explaining.

I see Mike’s reasoning… that if the Earth was flat, and the stars were designed purely for lighting the flat Earth (as I believe they were anyway – much like a room with lights)… then it would shock many.

We are led to believe the Earth is a ball like all the other planets, in a huge universe where Earth is merely a speck of dust, or even invisible in size comparison.

This is not something i have ever thought about. Perhaps my old man is on to something aye! Who knows.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 6,405 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account