Does the bible tell us to ask God for forgiveness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

When reading about U.S. candidate for President Ben Carson I read where he claimed he did not ask God for forgiveness. This inspired me to do a search of the AV of the KJV and I failed to find either ask or pray for forgiveness. I there a scripture that supports the idea we are to ask God for forgiveness?

tigger
    Participant

Matt. 6:12 – Jesus tells us in his example of a proper prayer to God to ask Him for forgiveness.

kerwin
    Participant

tigger,

Matthew 6:121599 Geneva Bible (GNV)

12 And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors.

I can see where that would cover asking God to forgive us of our sins as we forgive others of their sins though it is more generic in form. My search was for an explicit statement.

The article I read claimed is was a basic tenet of the Christian faith but that does not seem to be the case in Scripture.

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Kerwin,

Here’s another…

“And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous,
    and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other
    a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as
    other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week,
    I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much
    as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that
    exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14)

kerwin
    Participant

Ed,

I see where the publican confessed his sinful condition and begged God to be merciful to him. God’s may include forgiveness but I think it is more than that. It is a thing to look up.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin…..Psa 32:5, a psalm of DAVID.

peace and love to you and yours. ………gene

Participant

Kerwin:

Only Christians that do not commit sin do not have to ask God for forgiveness, if there is such a thing.   How specific a statement do you need?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

Though both Ed and Gene mentioned passage that may include asking forgiveness in the general terms Psa 32:5 is about confessing sins and in at least some instances being forgiven by God. It does sound like the aftermath of the publican who confessed he was a sinner and then cried for mercy.

kerwin
    Participant

Marty,

I was looking for a explicit enough statement that it could be seen asking for forgiveness was a obvious part of the gospel.

Participant

Hi KW:

I believe that the Lord’s prayer makes this obvious, but there is also this scripture:

1 John 1King James Version (KJV)

1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

kerwin
    Participant

John seems to be saying we are to confess our sins and the result of confessing them is that he both forgives us and cleanses us of unrighteousness.

His words seem to hint that we do not ask for forgiveness as will be given to use in response to confession of a sin.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin….We as well as the whole world have been forgiven sin, because of the sacrifice of Jesus, and as a result we have no need to ask for forgiveness of sin. God is “FAITHFULL” TO FORGIVE US through the sacrifice of Jesus, and not only us but the whole world, so in that “SENSE”, we are ALREADY forgiven sin, but that does not remove sin from our lives even thpugh we are forgiven them, so when we see sin in our lives, which everyone has somekind of sin still in their life, if we confess them to GOD THE FATHER, he is “FAITHFULL” to his word to forgive US, but even more, to “CLEANSE’ us from “ALL” SIN.

Perhaps this is what Ben Carson was driving at.

peace and love to you and yours. …………gene

terraricca
    Participant

hi

if you pick up a bible and start to preach from it ,you should never preach anything other what is written in it or supported within its words ,

if not : you have become a deceiver ;in Jesus name ;

Mt 24:4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you.
    Mt 24:5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.

Mk 13:5 Jesus said to them: “Watch out that no one deceives you.
    Mk 13:6 Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many.

Lk 21:8 He replied: “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them.

Jesus was the son of God /son of man/the messiah/preacher/a shepherd /a teacher ;

if you use the scriptures in any of those qualification ;you use them in Jesus name ;

if you tell lies or falsehood and so deceive people you are in God’s eyes a deceiver ; it does not matter how you try to justify your wrong doing

for ;1JN 2:6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
    2JN 1:6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

if you do not understand the above please do not use the scriptures for your own purpose ,this is good advice.

kerwin
    Participant

Terrarica,

The devil preaches from Scripture.

terraricca
    Participant

yes ,and the alike do it but they lie and so deceive all who listen to them

kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

Even after a Christian believes and starts adhering to the gospel they must continue to repent and confess in order to continue to receive forgiveness.

If a person asks for forgiveness and does not repent and confess their sin then they can expect nothing from God.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin……So what does this mean to you? “For he is faithfull to forgive us our sins “And” to “CLEANSE US” from ” ALL” unrightiousness”.

Question is Are we doing the cleansing, or is GOD the Father doing it? Are we the ones creating ourselves RIGHTIOUS or is GOD THE FATHER creating us RIGHTIOUS, is it by our WORKS or by GOD, THROUGH HIS GRACE. Who gets the credit US, or GOD THE FATHER?

Kerwin even repentance is given by GOD, or no one would ever repent, “Godly sorrow works repentance, not to be repented of”. And again, “we are sorrowed unto repenteance”.

Kerwin it’s a work of GOD FROM START TO FINISH. IMO salvation comes not by the will of man it is a gift from GOD.

Peace and love to you and yours. …………..gene

kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

Jesus instructs his hearers “repent or you to will perish” but only those that hunger and thirst for righteousness will do so.

Godly sorrow brings a change of mind and that mindset comes from God but Christians are also instructed to put on the same mind that is in Christ Jesus.

You know that if God is not with him the watchman watches in vain.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin…..2 Co 7:8- 10, 10… ” For “godly sorrow” worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Rom 2:4…..”OR despisest you the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness “of GOD” leads you to repentance?”

Peace and love to you and yours. …………..gene

kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

Hebrews 12:7-11Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account