2 Commandments, in Which Way do YOU Love Jesus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Lightenup
    Participant

Hi all,

There are two commandments that “depend the whole law and the prophets”. Which command do you honor when you give love to Jesus? The greatest commandment or the second commandment? It seems to me that most of the HN members might prefer a middle commandment in which you would place your love for Jesus. However, Jesus did not give us a middle commandment. He is either loved as yourself, or as Jehovah your God.

34But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. 35One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”

37And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38“This is the great and foremost commandment. 39“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

41Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question: 42“What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?” They said to Him, “The son of David.” 43He said to them, “Then how does David in the Spirit call Him ‘Lord,’ saying,

44‘THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,
    “SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
    UNTIL I PUT YOUR ENEMIES BENEATH YOUR FEET”’?

45“If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son?” 46No one was able to answer Him a word, nor did anyone dare from that day on to ask Him another question.

Can you choose boldly, right here, publicly, out in the open and in the light? Or are you not able to answer?

While you think about that…think about how you are loving your HN “neighbors” right here. Let us love each other as ourself. We might think that we are loving each other by leading them to truth. Truth is good. Let us lead others with love. Let us also receive correction with love.

What is love:

1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

LORD help us to obey those two commandments!

Lightenup
    Participant

I’m sure that I could do better at both of these commandments!  Please forgive me for falling short here!

As you probably know I believe that the LORD our God is Jehovah, the God of gods and the Lord of lords.

I place both the God of gods and the Lord of lords in the greatest commandment.  Jesus is the Lord of lords, His Father is the God of gods.

I place all men, including myself, in the second commandment.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

For us there is one God, The Father…

AND one Lord Jesus Christ.

But folks have their own ideas.

Jesus Christ is the Master we are invited to serve under his God and our God, and he is the head of the Body of Christ.

We are invited to share in the anointing that he received from His Father.

Eternal life is in the Son.

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Nick,

So you are loving Jesus as yourself and His Father as the LORD God.

Thanks for your answer.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

Are you under the OT Law of which the commandments form a part?

Are you a Jew born under the Law and hoping to be saved by obedience to it?

If you are a gentile the law cannot save you and if you are reborn from above the Law of The Spirit rules.

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Nick,

No Nick, I am not under the law. I am under grace because the Lord of lords, Jehovah our Righteousness who directly created us, became like us, lived a perfect life fulfilling the Law, was crucified, buried and rose from the dead and is now at the right hand of His Father in heaven with all authority in heaven and on earth. That is the gospel message. Is that your message too?

Do you have a problem following Jesus’ example to love others as He does? Is that the command that you feel that you are not obligated to follow because you are not under the law?

I John 3

23This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. 24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

Yes he did that.

And his God requires a response.

You must repent and be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ and you will receive the Spirit.

It is not magic.

Lightenup
    Participant

The commands of Jesus come as a result of being born again, not before being born again. It is the fruit of the Spirit that empowers you to love your neighbor as yourself and to love the LORD God with all your heart.

Galatians 5

16But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 26Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

LU…Can you tell us what it means, to you, “to be (under) the law”?

Peace and love to you and yours…….gene

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Gene,

Which commandment do you follow in regards for your love for Jesus, the first or the second? Can you answer the OP of the thread instead of veering off on a completely different direction?

Blessings,

LU

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

Jesus does not command us to love him but does expect our obedience.

Why do you call me Lord, Lord and not do as I say?

We are one with him, in him.

He loves us.

Eph 5.29

For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourisheth it and cherisheth it;

even as the Lord, the church: for we are members of his body,

of his flesh and of his bones.

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Nick,

you said:

Jesus does not command us to love him but does expect our obedience.

Those 2 commandments command us to love everyone, which would include Jesus.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

Are you not yet one with him?

Does the toe love the head?

Lightenup
    Participant

I’m a member of His body, Nick. Of course all members of Christ love Him who is the Lord of lords, Jehovah our Righteousness, the Lord of Glory, the Lord of all.

I was wondering if you found a church that believes as you do. Seems like churches would be called St. Jesus of Nazareth or something similar if Jesus was truly only a saint.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

Why would I look for a group of similar believers?

If you are reborn in to the Body of Christ you are in the church.

Remember that only 8 were saved in the Ark.

You cannot serve two masters.

1 Peter 3.20.

Lightenup
    Participant

Nick,

you said: Why would I look for a group of similar believers?

The body of Christ gathers together for encouraging one another and to learn about God’s Word and for taking communion, corporate worship and even discipline. Jesus went to the Synagogue on the Sabbath to gather with the Jews.

How can a toe not be with the foot or the finger with the hand or those parts not be with the rest of the body? You are detatched and that should tell you something. There is not a body that you are apart of, Nick. How can you belong to the body of Christ when you are detached? That is not spiritually healthy. I really don’t think you would find a group of similar believers and that is why you are not meeting with them.

Have you ever been a member of something but never showed up? That is NOT an active member. What good is being a non-active member of something.

You belong to a church of one?

Lightenup
    Participant

Why not look for a group that are fellow members of the body you claim to be a part of? Isn’t that the point of being a member of a body of believers, so that they gather together to love, encourage and build one another up? Why is that even a question Nick? If you are a toe, you would benefit from the member who is the foot and the leg and the other parts. You are missing out on the importance of becoming united with like minded believers. Of course, you have to believe in the truth to find the true body of believers. I don’t know any denomination that claims your “truth” Nick so that should tell you something. God never meant the church to have one head and one member besides the head.

Hebrews 10:23Let us hold resolutely to the hope we confess, for He who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how to spur one another on to love and good deeds. 25Let us not neglect meeting together, as some have made a habit, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.…

1 Cor 12:25But God has composed the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its members should have mutual concern for one another. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.…

How are you going to show mutual concern for one another when you are the only member of your church?

NickHassan
    Participant

Indeed LU,

The Lord has it all in hand.

But the Body is not united by camaraderie but the Spirit.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

I have taken up my role in the Body.

Is it not enough for you?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,

Powerless, ritualistic and political human religion does not appeal and it does not fit with the definition in James.

My faith is too precious to me to risk it being watered down by mixing it with man’s ideas.

Somebody has to be a signpost or a checkpoint on the way.

A stumbling stone for some perhaps?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account